How to become a volunteer foster
Submit an Application
Attend an Interview
HSDR staff will contact you directly to conduct an interview. During the interview we will discuss your application.
Attend a Foster Orientation and Training Session
During this session you will learn about HSDR and the role of foster parents. You will be provided with informational manuals and hands-on training on how to care for some of the more vulnerable animals at HSDR.
Foster Volunteer Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age or older.
- Must ensure their pets are spay/neutered and fully vaccinated with their own animals.
- Must have a separate room to isolate a foster animal.
- Must have time to care for foster animals.
- Must have access to reliable transportation.
- Have permission to foster if you are renting their home.
- Everyone in the household has to be in agreement to foster.
- Able to commit to at least 6 months’ worth of fostering.
- Must be available to come to scheduled appointments throughout the weekdays.
- Must abide by the foster agreement signed upon joining the program.
- All Foster must attend an orientation session.
Animals in need of a
We are constantly looking for foster parents to help with our animals here at the Humane Society of Durham Region.Below are the current animals we have that are looking for a foster home. For more information please click their photo or name to view more details.
Thank you so much and we hope you will join the HSDR team!
Tom & Buddy